Consumers are driving an industry trend towards food used for medicinal purposes, and exciting market opportunities exist as ‘Pharmafoods’ become increasingly important in disease prevention, especially in areas influenced by lifestyle such as cardiovascular disease, obesity and diabetes.
Convened by the InnovationXchange, the Pharmafood Breakthrough Forum is the first event in a series to articulate the issues facing the food and pharmaceutical industries, regulatory bodies, consumers and researchers, and to identify opportunities for Australian organisations to take advantage of the emergence of Pharmafoods.
Speakers at the event include:
* Senator the Hon Jan McLucas, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Health and Ageing
* Graham Mitchell, Foursight Associates
* Dr Anthos Yannakou, Food Science Australia
* David Hughes, Fonterra
* Dr Susan Pond, Johnson & Johnson Research
* Prof. Bob Anderson, Walter & Eliza Hall Institute
* Prof. Warwick Anderson, NHMRC
* Dr Robert Sparrow, Monash University
* Sarah Proudfoot, ACCC
* Prof. Linda Tapsell, National Centre for Excellence Functional Foods
* Dr Michael Fenech, Food Science Australia
* Chris Oliver, Blackmores
The forum will be moderated by Dr. Richard Hames, President of the Asian Foresight Institute.
The Pharmafood Breakthrough Series is a platform identifying the issues, searching for solutions and promoting the results to stakeholders. All who have an industry, ethical or research interest in this area should attend.
When: Friday 27 June, 2008
Where: Zinc @ Federation Square, Melbourne
RSVP: Click here to register for the event.