Australia’s native foods offer manufacturers unique, healthy options
A new report has revealed what Indigenous Australians have known for years: that the bush contains many native foods that have significant health benefits.The Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation (RIRDC) commissioned the CSIRO to produce the report Evaluation of Native Foods for Health-Enhancing Compounds.
The report looked at 13 native herbs and spices and fresh fruit samples, including the Kakadu Plum, Desert Lime, Lemon Aspen, Tasmania Pepper Berry, Bush Tomato and Lemon Myrtle.
It found most were exceptionally rich sources of antioxidants, folate, iron and vitamins C and E.
Key findings included:
* All of the species had high levels of folate – including the Australian Desert Lime which has double the recommended daily intake of folate
* Kakadu Plum, Quandong, Tasmania Pepper Leaf, Lemon Myrtle and Anise Myrtle have high antioxidant qualities
* Anise Myrtle has a high level of lutein – a compound that plays an important role in eye health
* Kakadu Plum and Australian Desert Lime had high levels of vitamin C
* Bush Tomato, Tasmania Pepper Leaf and Wattleseed were the richest sources of iron amongst the herbs and spices tested
* Quandong and Lemon Aspen were the richest sources of iron amongst the fruits tested
Mr Burke said the Australian native food industry was relatively small, but growing on the back of more value-added products for tourism and export markets.
The industry is worth an estimated $30 million a year, including farm-gate value and retail sales. Around 15 key species are commercially produced, including through both wild harvest and cultivation.
The industry relies heavily on local Indigenous knowledge and, in the case of some species such as Bush Tomato and Wattleseed, Indigenous people do much of the commercial harvesting.
“Until now, when many people looked at the Australian landscape they saw an empty plate,” Mr Burke noted. “But Indigenous Australians have known for years that there is a banquet in the bush and now the rest of us are catching up.”
“This report will help to highlight new commercial opportunities which could further diversify our agricultural sector.”
The CSIRO is conducting a survey to gauge the impact Australian diets have on the environment.
The company which owns V energy drinks is fighting Coca-Cola over the colour green, and are taking t...
A new study has found young Australians are more likely to engage in risky alcohol consumption if th...
Australian food and grocery wholesaler, Metcash, has been caught up in the difficulties of an increa...
Australian vegetable research and marketing group, Horticulture Innovation, and the CSIRO are joinin...
Woolworths will now be giving NSW Seniors Card holders five per cent off its WISH eGift cards as par...
Australian restaurant chain Hog’s Breath has launched a new quick-service dining concept.
For the first time ever Australia’s two largest supermarkets have more than 50 per cent of Australia...