A look back at the top food trends of the noughties
Sushi, gourmet burgers and superfruits have been listed among the top food trends of the last decade, according to editorial staff at the American-based Food Channel (foodchannel.com).
Below are their opinions on the decade that was 2000-2009, with a perspective on top trends, top flavours and the leading news stories.
Top Ten Trends
- Gourmet Burgers made with Kobe or Angus Beef
- Superfruits such as Acai, Pomegranate and Blueberry
- Oils, such as olive oils and truffle oils
- Whole grains, such as Kashi, polenta, risotto
- Artisan foods, particularly in breads, cheeses and dark chocolates
- Coffees, teas
- Green tea
- Dark Chocolate
- Organic foods
- International Cuisines
- Food TV and Internet
- Food Safety
- The Economy and subsequent shift to home cooking
- Fast casual restaurant concepts
- Fair trade and Artisan concepts in bread, chocolates, cheeses
- Mobility/Social Media/Twitter notifications/Underground dining
- Culinary education
Prominent News Topics
- Food Safety
- Food Prices
- Slow Food
- Consumer generated advertising (e.g. Dorito’s Super Bowl ad)
- The demise of traditional publishing
- Private branding
- Carl’s, Jr.’s edgy advertising
- McDonald’s innovation
Top Restaurant Trends
- Fast casual concept
- Tapas and shareables
- Molecular Gastronomy
- Taco Trucks
- Underground dining
- Upscaling of Bar food
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Bread Pudding
- Deep Fried Turkey
- Creme Brulee
Top Food People
- Food bloggers
- The local farmer
- Celebrity Chefs such as Rachael Ray, Jamie Oliver, Curtis Stone and Gordon Ramsay
- Julia Child/Julie Powell
- The home cook
- Grant Achatz
- Alice Waters
- Thomas Keller
- Martha Stewart
- The local restaurant chef
New research has found each additional serve of wholegrains eaten decreases the risk of dying from c...
Perhaps many urbane Australians eating avocado on toast for their breakfast will be surprised to lea...
McDonald’s US has attracted criticism for its new staff uniforms.
Coca-Cola remains the world’s most chosen brand according to the 2016 Kantar Worldpanel Global Top 5...
PureCircle’s 2017 financial year results have been hit hard by its inability to import to the US dur...
The mindful consumer will dominate 2018 says Innova Market Insights.
Queensland University of Technology has launched a research project that will track Australian beef ...
US beverage giants Dr Pepper Snapple and Keurig Green Mountain have merged to form ‘Keurig Dr Pepper...