A look back at the top food trends of the noughties
Sushi, gourmet burgers and superfruits have been listed among the top food trends of the last decade, according to editorial staff at the American-based Food Channel (foodchannel.com).
Below are their opinions on the decade that was 2000-2009, with a perspective on top trends, top flavours and the leading news stories.
Top Ten Trends
- Gourmet Burgers made with Kobe or Angus Beef
- Superfruits such as Acai, Pomegranate and Blueberry
- Oils, such as olive oils and truffle oils
- Whole grains, such as Kashi, polenta, risotto
- Artisan foods, particularly in breads, cheeses and dark chocolates
- Coffees, teas
- Green tea
- Dark Chocolate
- Organic foods
- International Cuisines
- Food TV and Internet
- Food Safety
- The Economy and subsequent shift to home cooking
- Fast casual restaurant concepts
- Fair trade and Artisan concepts in bread, chocolates, cheeses
- Mobility/Social Media/Twitter notifications/Underground dining
- Culinary education
Prominent News Topics
- Food Safety
- Food Prices
- Slow Food
- Consumer generated advertising (e.g. Dorito’s Super Bowl ad)
- The demise of traditional publishing
- Private branding
- Carl’s, Jr.’s edgy advertising
- McDonald’s innovation
Top Restaurant Trends
- Fast casual concept
- Tapas and shareables
- Molecular Gastronomy
- Taco Trucks
- Underground dining
- Upscaling of Bar food
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Bread Pudding
- Deep Fried Turkey
- Creme Brulee
Top Food People
- Food bloggers
- The local farmer
- Celebrity Chefs such as Rachael Ray, Jamie Oliver, Curtis Stone and Gordon Ramsay
- Julia Child/Julie Powell
- The home cook
- Grant Achatz
- Alice Waters
- Thomas Keller
- Martha Stewart
- The local restaurant chef
New research from IBISWorld has found Australia’s fishing and seafood processing industries are beco...
Hargol FoodTech , the Israeli company developing Steak TzarTzar – high-protein grasshoppers — emerge...
US President-Elect, Donald Trump, has announced America will leave the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TP...
Aldi is preparing to sell its goods online in China using Australian suppliers.
An Israeli start-up has developed an app which takes all the guess work out of deciding whether a pi...
Researchers have found evidence that those who do not like cheese can acquire a taste for it after c...
New Zealand is facing a potato shortage after up to 30 per cent of the country’s crop was hit by hea...
United States research firm Packaged Facts have released a list of 10 food trends to watch in 2018.