ACCC considers acquisition of Rockdale Beef by Swift Australia
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission today issued a Statement of Issues on the proposed acquisition of Rockdale Beef Pty Ltd by Swift Australia Pty Ltd.
The Statement of Issues seeks further information on certain competition issues which have arisen from the ACCC’s market inquiries to date. Issues that may raise concerns include:
- acquisition of feeder cattle
- increased market concentration
- ability of smaller feedlots to provide an effective competitive restraint
- available substitutes from backgrounders and restockers
- barriers to entry and expansion.
The ACCC invites further submissions from the market in response to the Statement of Issues by 6 July 2010. As a result, the ACCC’s indicative decision date will be deferred until 22 July 2010.
Submissions can be sent by email to the ACCC at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Statement of Issues will be available on the public merger register page on the ACCC’s website, www.accc.gov.au/mergersregister.