Salami recalled over harmful bacteria concern

Posted by AFN Staff Writers on 23rd January 2012

Queensland Health is warning against consuming a batch of salami made by smallgoods company Backa Australia, after samples were found with high levels of bacteria.

The company based in Beenleigh, in Queensland, has begun a voluntary recall of its chabi salami products sold at farmers markets in Brisbane and the Gold Coast last weekend (14-15 January 2012).

The salami product tested positive to staphylococcus bacteria which can cause a type of food poisoning.

Consumers who purchased the chabi products from farmers markets at Rocklea, Ascot, Chandler, Nerang, Palm Beach, and the Southport Sharks Club last weekend are advised not to consume them.
A statement released by Queensland Health said, “While there is no reason to suspect other products of Backa Australia are also contaminated, all retail sales have been suspended until further tests can be carried out.”

Queensland Health Acting Chief Health Officer Professor Michael Cleary said staphylococcal food poisoning can cause a sudden onset of nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea. He also said that dehydration can occur, especially among infants, pregnant women or in the elderly if untreated.

The incubation period for staphylococcal food poisoning is commonly 30 minutes-8 hours, usually 2-4 hours, although in some cases could be longer. The severity of illness depends on how much contaminated food is consumed, how much of the toxin is ingested, and the general health of the consumer.

Professor Cleary said, “Those who purchased Backa Australia chabi last weekend are advised to throw it out as it is unsafe or return it to the supplier for a refund.

“The ingestion of the contaminated hot salami could pose serious health risks and should not be consumed.”

The Backa Australia chabi is unpackaged and not labelled.

Queensland Health has notified Food Standards Australia New Zealand about the food recall.