US companies forced to cough up $7.2 Million for popcorn injury
- September 24, 2012
Popcorn enthusiast Wayne Watson has won a US $7.2 Million law suit in the USA from lung damage suffered as a consequence of ‘the buttery smell’ of microwave popcorn.
Damages have been awarded against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp, The Kroger Companies and Dylan Companies for his lung injury.
The injury, now known as ‘popcorn lung’ is not the first reported of its kind, with microwave popcorn factory workers previously reporting respiratory trouble.
Mr Watson’s injury was caused by inhaling a butter-flavoured chemical known as Dicetyl.