CHOICE finds “you get what you pay for” with Christmas puddings
Consumer watchdog CHOICE has put 14 popular Christmas puddings to the test, finding that the cheaper puddings performed the worst in taste and quality.
The team of experts included Fine Food Show judges and professional cooks that analysed puddings between $0.71 – $5.50/100 grams. In the blind taste test, the experts looked for good shape, weight, balanced fruit, spice and alcohol flavours, even distribution of good-quality fruit ingredients and puddings that held their shape when cut.
CHOICE awarded Itha’s Traditional Plum Pudding, Pud for All Seasons Traditional Plum Pudding, Pudding Lady Traditional Christmas Pudding, and Crooked Creek Authentic English Christmas Pudding as the best Christmas puddings on the market, but noted that they were in the “higher-end” budget.
Woolworths Gold Vintage Christmas Pudding and Coles Finest Luxury Christmas Pudding performed “we’re quite as good as the more expensive options, but are gentler on the hip pocket,” CHOICE said.
The puddings tested by CHOICE are as follows:
- Big Sister Christmas Traditional Plum Pudding – $1.12/100g
- Coles Finest Luxury Christmas Pudding – $1.56/100g
- Coles Matured Christmas Pudding – $1.29/100g
- Crooked Creek Authentic English Christmas Pudding – $5.50/100g
- Fowlers Luxury Plum Pudding – $1.63/100g
- Itha’s Traditional Plum Pudding – $4.20/100g
- Lions Traditional Lions Christmas Pudding – $1.22/100g
- Pud for All Seasons Traditional Plum Pudding – $3.62/100g
- Pudding Lady Traditional Christmas Pudding – $4.30/100g
- Pudding Lane Christmas Pudding – $4.20/100g
- The Cake Stall (Aldi) Luxury Christmas Pudding – $1.00/100g
- The Cake Stall (Aldi) Plum Pudding – $0.71/100g
- Woolworths Gold Vintage Christmas Pudding – $1.98/100g
- Woolworths Select Matured Christmas Pudding with Cognac – $1.13/100g
Australian Food News team experts has come up with five ideas to consider in 2017.
Fasting for a handful of days once a month could have a whole host of health benefits a new study ha...
A Frucor Suntory advertising campaign has made it into the Advertising Standards’ most complained ab...
An individual’s sense of smell may be key to losing or gaining weight a new study has found.
A new Sara Lee Bavarian range has hit Australian supermarkets.
The five-year-long agreement will run from 2017-2022 and areas of research will include grape qualit...
IKEA has announced a new international food program that will help the furniture giant achieve a num...
Australian grocery deliver Aussie Farmers Direct has entered into voluntary administration and close...