CHOICE finds “you get what you pay for” with Christmas puddings
Consumer watchdog CHOICE has put 14 popular Christmas puddings to the test, finding that the cheaper puddings performed the worst in taste and quality.
The team of experts included Fine Food Show judges and professional cooks that analysed puddings between $0.71 – $5.50/100 grams. In the blind taste test, the experts looked for good shape, weight, balanced fruit, spice and alcohol flavours, even distribution of good-quality fruit ingredients and puddings that held their shape when cut.
CHOICE awarded Itha’s Traditional Plum Pudding, Pud for All Seasons Traditional Plum Pudding, Pudding Lady Traditional Christmas Pudding, and Crooked Creek Authentic English Christmas Pudding as the best Christmas puddings on the market, but noted that they were in the “higher-end” budget.
Woolworths Gold Vintage Christmas Pudding and Coles Finest Luxury Christmas Pudding performed “we’re quite as good as the more expensive options, but are gentler on the hip pocket,” CHOICE said.
The puddings tested by CHOICE are as follows:
- Big Sister Christmas Traditional Plum Pudding – $1.12/100g
- Coles Finest Luxury Christmas Pudding – $1.56/100g
- Coles Matured Christmas Pudding – $1.29/100g
- Crooked Creek Authentic English Christmas Pudding – $5.50/100g
- Fowlers Luxury Plum Pudding – $1.63/100g
- Itha’s Traditional Plum Pudding – $4.20/100g
- Lions Traditional Lions Christmas Pudding – $1.22/100g
- Pud for All Seasons Traditional Plum Pudding – $3.62/100g
- Pudding Lady Traditional Christmas Pudding – $4.30/100g
- Pudding Lane Christmas Pudding – $4.20/100g
- The Cake Stall (Aldi) Luxury Christmas Pudding – $1.00/100g
- The Cake Stall (Aldi) Plum Pudding – $0.71/100g
- Woolworths Gold Vintage Christmas Pudding – $1.98/100g
- Woolworths Select Matured Christmas Pudding with Cognac – $1.13/100g
Late last week Woolworths announced the results for its 2016 financial year which included its first...
More Australians are purchasing their Easter chocolates online according to new research released by...
Traditionally grown to make tequila with in Mexico, MSF Sugar in North Queensland plans to start gro...
Bellamy’s Australia has paid a $66, 000 penalty after ASIC alleged it did not properly inform the AS...
Food companies have been both praised and condemned by Australian childhood health promotion group, ...
Youfoodz and Meat and Livestock Australia have both made the Advertising Standard’s Board 2017 most ...
A complaint over an Aldi Facebook post featuring a picture of Kath & Kim drinking wine and smoking h...
The Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resources Economics has released its Food Demand in Austra...