CHOICE finds “you get what you pay for” with Christmas puddings
Consumer watchdog CHOICE has put 14 popular Christmas puddings to the test, finding that the cheaper puddings performed the worst in taste and quality.
The team of experts included Fine Food Show judges and professional cooks that analysed puddings between $0.71 – $5.50/100 grams. In the blind taste test, the experts looked for good shape, weight, balanced fruit, spice and alcohol flavours, even distribution of good-quality fruit ingredients and puddings that held their shape when cut.
CHOICE awarded Itha’s Traditional Plum Pudding, Pud for All Seasons Traditional Plum Pudding, Pudding Lady Traditional Christmas Pudding, and Crooked Creek Authentic English Christmas Pudding as the best Christmas puddings on the market, but noted that they were in the “higher-end” budget.
Woolworths Gold Vintage Christmas Pudding and Coles Finest Luxury Christmas Pudding performed “we’re quite as good as the more expensive options, but are gentler on the hip pocket,” CHOICE said.
The puddings tested by CHOICE are as follows:
- Big Sister Christmas Traditional Plum Pudding – $1.12/100g
- Coles Finest Luxury Christmas Pudding – $1.56/100g
- Coles Matured Christmas Pudding – $1.29/100g
- Crooked Creek Authentic English Christmas Pudding – $5.50/100g
- Fowlers Luxury Plum Pudding – $1.63/100g
- Itha’s Traditional Plum Pudding – $4.20/100g
- Lions Traditional Lions Christmas Pudding – $1.22/100g
- Pud for All Seasons Traditional Plum Pudding – $3.62/100g
- Pudding Lady Traditional Christmas Pudding – $4.30/100g
- Pudding Lane Christmas Pudding – $4.20/100g
- The Cake Stall (Aldi) Luxury Christmas Pudding – $1.00/100g
- The Cake Stall (Aldi) Plum Pudding – $0.71/100g
- Woolworths Gold Vintage Christmas Pudding – $1.98/100g
- Woolworths Select Matured Christmas Pudding with Cognac – $1.13/100g
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is inviting comments on a draft undertakin...
Australia’s appetite for cheese is not diminishing with the latest data from Roy Morgan Research sho...
Aussie Farmers Direct has launched a new advertising campaign reminding Australians they can support...
Mondelez International will cut 50 jobs from its Hobart Cadbury factory.
One third of all food that is produced is lost at some point across the food supply chain, according...
Evidence of a link between diet and depression has been found in the first study to analyse associat...
A new Australian-owned brand of flavoured butter blends is now available in Woolworths supermarkets.
Australian food exporters have the chance to seize market share as China and the United States incre...