Apprentice chef finalists announced for master-classes through Fonterra
Dairy giant Fonterra has announced the finalists for its Fonterra Proud to be a Chef 2013 mentor program, which will provide 32 Australian and New Zealand apprentice chefs with free industry master-classes.
The competition is designed to publicly recognise the commitment of apprentice chefs, with one standout finalist set to receive the major prize of an international culinary scholarship to suit the direction they choose to take their career.
Food industry experts such as George Calombaris – MasterChef judge and owner of The Press Club and Matthew Macartney – Executive Chef at Chateau Yering are just two alumni of the competition, which is now in its 14th year.
Fonterra Proud to be a Chef coordinator, Carolyn Plummer, said the standard of entrants this year was unbelievably high and a record number of applications were received.
“This mentorship program provides apprentice chefs with an exciting and unique opportunity outside their regular work environment where they can be taught and inspired by some of Australia’s top industry icons,” she said.
Sonja Dawson, winner of Fonterra Proud to be a Chef 2012, said the competition was a huge boost to her career and has made her more employable. Sonja received placements in New York City at Per Se – the sixth ranking restaurant in the world, and at the famous Payard Bakery. She had the opportunity of a lifetime working under world-renowned chefs Thomas Keller and Francois Payard.
Applicants were evaluated based on their demonstrated passion and commitment to food servicing, as well as their goals, aspirations and an original recipe. The master classes, held from 25 to 28 February 2013, are part of an all-expense paid trip to Melbourne.
Fonterra Proud to be a Chef 2013 finalists are listed below:
|· Rosie Firth, Canberra, ACT
· Cecilia Tibbertsma, Sydney, NSW
· James Milazzo, Sydney, NSW
· Jesse-Dylan Oakley, Kurri Kurri, NSW
· Katherine Offner, Tamworth, NSW
· Kirra Parsons, Bega, NSW
· Maddison Gibbs, Dubbo, NSW
· Peter Travernese, Ryde, NSW
· Sebastian Vella, Campbelltown, NSW
· Kristin Bonney, Darwin, NT
· Andrew Shackleton, Brisbane, QLD
· Bethany Sheather, Brisbane, QLD
· David Warne, Rockhampton, QLD
· Mitchell Snell, Mooloolaba, QLD
· Kathryn Holmes, Mount Gambier, SA
· Bevin Groves, Launceston, TAS
· Daniel Garwood, Hobart, TAS
|· David Obudzinski, Melbourne, VIC
· Emily Petrelli, Melbourne, VIC
· Hayley McLean, Frankston, VIC
· Hoang Le, Springvale, VIC
· Jacob Hoskin, Melbourne, VIC
· Kylie Spratling, Melbourne, VIC
· Rory Greenwood-McNair, Melbourne, VIC
· Tristam May, Shepparton, VIC
· Joshua Skipworth, Perth, WA
· Lauren Watson, Perth, WA
· Nicholas Young, Margaret River, WA
· Jonny Bell, Auckland, New Zealand
· Nickolas Han, New Plymouth, New Zealand
· Stephanie Pierce, Millers Flat, New Zealand
· Wingo Lam, Auckland, New Zealand