Woolworths’ new strategy aims to boost local producers and small businesses
Woolworths has announced its new Local Food Sourcing Strategy, which aims to bring more locally produced foods to the shelves of Woolworths’ supermarkets across Australia.
The new strategy will see the introduction of new Australian brands from small and medium sized businesses, on a supply level that can be reached by the individual company.
Woolworths Managing Director Tjeerd Jegen said that Woolworths would appoint Local Sourcing Managers for each state to identify local products, host local sourcing shows, and develop individualised plans for local suppliers.
“We recognise that supplying 890 Woolies stores can be a daunting prospect for small and medium businesses, and may simply be beyond the reach of their production capacity,” Mr Jegen said.
“Woolworths’ Local Sourcing Managers will work with these suppliers to design a plan that suits their business, whether that’s supplying 3 stores, or 300 stores,” he added.
One of the newest local suppliers, Eric Robinson of the Port Macquarie Food Co. said that it was a great experience for his ‘small business.’
“We are passionate about supporting our community – that’s why we source all of our ingredients from local growers. With our products on the shelves of 43 Woolies stores, we will be able to share the flavours of our community with a much wider group of customers,” Mr Robinson said.
The first range of locally sourced products that will arrive on Woolworths shelves in late January 2013 are:
- Hank’s Jam from Brookvale in Sydney, NSW will be stocked in 278 stores
- Port Macquarie Food Co. from Port Macquarie, NSW will be stocked in 43 stores
- Blue M Jam from the Blue Mountains, NSW will be stocked in 32 stores
- Hill & River Jam from the Hunter Valley, NSW will be stocked in 17 stores
- Officers’ Mess Conserves from Daylesford, VIC will be stocked in 50 stores
- Yarra Valley Gourmet from the Yarra Valley, VIC will be stocked in 76 stores
- Country Cuisine Jam from Daylesford, VIC will be stocked in 30 stores
- Rhu Bru Jam from Scottsdale, TAS will be stocked in 3 stores
- Tasmanian Gourmet Kitchen from Longford, TAS will be stocked in 3 stores
Bega Cheese has announced a reduction in its opening farm gate milk prices for the 2016/17 financial...
Woolworths is once again updating its loyalty program after receiving further complaint about its re...
Australian private equity firm, Allegro, has acquired the master franchise licence for Pizza Hut Aus...
Innovative Australian food products have been rewarded at the 2017 Delicious Produce Awards held in ...
Unilever has acquired Queensland’s Weis ice cream business and brands.
A number of food and drink producers have taken out sustainability awards at the 2017 Australian Pac...
Buying fresh Australian vegetables is a long-term and cost-effective investment in your health.
SUPERMARKET staple McKenzie’s continues to display market agility and nous introducing a new range o...