Kellogg’s announces ‘commitment’ to Health Star Ratings
Breakfast cereal manufacturer Kellogg’s today announced its commitment to implement the voluntary Health Star Ratings on all of its cereals across Australia and New Zealand from the beginning of June 2015.
Kellogg’s said more than two thirds of its breakfast cereals, or 25 products in the range, have a rating of between 4 and 5 health stars, with the total range spanning 1.5 to 5 stars. From today, consumers can check Kellogg New Zealand’s website for the ratings of their favourite cereals, as products roll out on shelves over the coming months with the new packaging in a phased approach.
The Health Star Rating system is a government led initiative that provides an easy way to compare the nutritional profile of packaged foods, so shoppers can make informed choices.
Kellogg’s started work on Health Stars ‘late last year’
Kellogg’s Senior Nutrition and Regulatory Affairs Manager Dr Michelle Celander said the Company had been working on the implementation of Health Star Ratings since late last year.
“We are pleased to be adding Health Stars as another way to help shoppers make informed choices for themselves and their families, alongside other important nutritional information on our packs such as serve size and nutrients per serve,” Dr Celander said. “With products carrying health stars beginning to reach shelves in the next six weeks, we feel that now is the right time to let New Zealanders know about the packaging updates and Health Star Ratings of their favourite cereals,” she said.
Health Stars to appear on full Kellogg’s range by end of 2015
Kellogg’s All Bran, Sultana Bran, Guardian, Coco Pops and Special K Nourish variants will be the first to carry health stars. Health Star Ratings will be rolled out across all Kellogg cereals; the largest portfolio of cereal products of any manufacturer in Australia and New Zealand.
Kellogg’s has also announced it is committed to putting Health Star Ratings onto its full range by the end of the year.
“We are proud to offer a wide variety of breakfast cereals. We really have something for everyone and if someone is looking for a four or five star cereal, we have 25 to choose from,” Dr Celander said. “As part of our positive nutrition journey, we are continuously seeking ways to bring consumers more of what they want, with several exciting new offerings to be released in 2015 and beyond,” she said.
Kellogg’s said it had “long supported front-of-pack labelling”. The daily intake information and nutrition information panels will remain on pack.
Announcement welcomed by health and consumer groups
The move by Kellogg’s to include Health Stars on its products has been welcomed by consumer group CHOICE, which has been running a campaign to pressure several large food companies to take up the Health Star ratings.
“This is a great win for consumers. Kellogg’s was one of the biggest food manufacturers in Australia not implementing health stars and we are thrilled that they have listened to consumers and will be rolling out the scheme on all of their breakfast cereals,” said Tom Godfrey, CHOICE spokesperson.
“Kellogg’s coming on board with health stars will fill a large gap in the breakfast cereal aisle and now this aisle in the supermarket will be the first one with all the major food manufacturers on board with health stars,” Mr Godfrey said.
Mr Godfrey said CHOICE hoped other food companies it has targeted with its campaign, such as McCain, PepsiCo and Mars, would follow Kellogg’s in introducing the Health Stars to their packaging.
The Australian National Heart Foundation also welcomed the announcement.
“I congratulate Kellogg’s on this move that will help Australian families make a healthier choice to start to their day,” said Mary Barry, Heart Foundation National CEO. “The Health Star Rating system is a crucial development in Australian public health policy and I would encourage other manufacturers to follow suit,” she said.
Kellogg cereal range and their Health Star Ratings:
- All-Bran Original: 5 stars
- All-Bran Wheat Flakes: 5 stars
- Guardian: 5 stars
- All-Bran Apple flavoured Crunch: 4 stars
- All-Bran High Fibre Muesli Almond and Apricot with Sultanas and Pepita Seeds: 4 Stars
- All-Bran High Fibre Muesli Cranberry and Pink Lady Apple with Pepita Seeds: 4 stars
- All-Bran Wheat Flakes Honey Almond: 4 stars
- Kelloggs Five Whole Grain Muesli Roasted Almonds, Coconut & Flame Raisins: 4 stars
- Kelloggs Five Whole Grain Muesli Sun-dried Apricot, Cranberries & Pepitas: 4 stars
- Mini-Wheats Little Bites Chocolate: 4 stars
- Mini-Wheats Little Bites Original: 4 stars
- Special K Advantage: 4 stars
- Special K Nourish with Apricot, Cranberry & Almond: 4 stars
- Special K Nourish with Blackcurrant, Apple & Pepitas: 4 stars
- Special K Nourish with Wildberry, Raisin & Pepita: 4 stars
- Special K Oats & Honey: 4 stars
- Sultana Bran Buds: 4 stars
- Sultana Bran: 4 stars
- Just Right Original: 4 stars
- Special K Forest Berries: 4 stars
- Special K Fruit & Nut: 4 stars
- Special K Honey Almond: 4 stars
- Special K Original: 4 stars
- Just Right Fruit & Nut Fusion: 4 stars
- Just Right Goji Berries, Cranberries & Sultanas: 4 stars
- Coco Pops O’s (NZ only): 3 stars
- Corn Flakes: 3 stars
- Rice Bubbles: 3 stars
- Sultana Bran with Oat Clusters: 3 stars
- Coco Pops: 2 stars
- Coco Pops Chex: 2 stars
- Crunchy Nut Clusters: 2 stars
- Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes: 2 stars
- Froot Loops: 2 stars
- Frosties: 2 stars
- Nutri Grain Honey Flavoured Crunch: 2 stars
- Nutri-Grain: 2 stars
- Crispix: 1 star
The Food Revolution Group has signed what it describes as “significant distribution deals” with Wool...
Coca-Cola South Pacific’s Pump has been announced as the official water of the Australian Football L...
A new state-of-the-art Woolworths distribution facility is currently being built in the outer suburb...
Baby Boomers may be Australia’s next booming customer base for alcohol retailers new Nielsen researc...
Woolworths is set to cut a number of in-store butcher positions as the supermarket moves away from p...
Promotion and sales of pork has paid off in increased Australian retail sales of the meat Nielsen re...
Coca-Cola Amatil has launched a new business platform to help explore new opportunities outside of b...
THE race is well and truly on between Woolworths and Coles to downsize to convenience-store footprin...