ACCC to host farmer forums for Dairy Inquiry
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is hosting a series of forums for dairy farmers as part of its Dairy Inquiry.
The forums seek to uncover farmer concerns over competition and fair trading in the wake of 2016’s dairy crisis which saw many Australian dairy farmers struggling after a group of dairy processors dropped their farmgate milk prices.
The Dairy Inquiry is examining the competition between milk processors, contracts between processors and farmers, global supply markets, and the profitability of dairy farms.
ACCC Commissioner, Mick Keogh, said the ACCC is interested in hearing from farmers on a wide range of topics.
“We are interested in hearing from farmers on a range of topics, including options for selling milk in different regions, the transparency of how farm gate milk prices are calculated, and contracting practices in the industry,” Keogh said.
“We are attending major dairy production regions in each state. I look forward to meeting farmers and hearing their views. If there are farmers who cannot attend but want to have their say, I’d encourage them to call or email us,” he said.
A summary of the issues discussed at the forums will be published on the ACCC website but individual’s names will not be used.
The forums will be held at:
- Monday 6 February 2017 – Toowoomba, Qld
- Tuesday 7 February 2017, 12pm–2pm – Club West, Taree, NSW
- Tuesday 14 February 2017– Traralgon, Vic
- Monday 27 February 2017 – Warrnambool, Vic
- Tuesday 28 February 2017 – Shepparton, Vic
- Thursday 16 March 2017 – Bunbury, WA
- Monday 20 March 2017 – Hahndorf, SA
- Wednesday 22 March 2017 – Burnie, Tas
- Vegemite is just the beginning for Bega
- Murray Goulburn takes home $40 million net profit despite farmercrisis
- Australiandairy industry agrees on voluntary code of conduct
- Dairy farmers angry at milk price cuts
Home-delivered cocktails in a box, gourmet salt, watches and books; these are just a few of the thin...
Japanese beverage giant, Asahi, has acquired AB InBev’s central and eastern European assets which we...
A small Sydney pizzeria has scooped the national title in the Menulog Restaurant Awards for 2016, af...
AmazonFresh looks like it may be readying itself to enter Australia, advertising for a software deve...
Woolworths is looking to enter into long-term contracts with suppliers in an effort to get fresh and...
A record avocado harvest in Australia is set to drive prices down for manufacturers and consumers.
Coles “has lost its way” a UBS report summarising the results of a supplier survey on Woolworths and...
Now in its 20th year, Agri-Tech Israel 2018 focused on agriculture in arid and semi-arid regions, pr...