US nutritional panel changes detailed
A US food testing laboratory has explained what America’s new nutrition panels will look like.
The new panels, which are the first major overall to American nutritional panels in over 20-years, introduces “realistic serving sizes”, added sugar declarations and clarification of the definition of dietary fiber.
The mandatory nutritional panel changes include:
- An increase in type size for “calories”, “servings per container” and “serving size”. The number of calories and “serving size” declaration must be bolded
- Manufacturers must declare the amount of Vitamin D, calcium, iron and potassium. They must declare the percent Daily Value of these vitamins and minerals
- The footnote will change to better explain what percent Daily value means
- “Added sugars” must be declared in grams and as percent Daily Value
- Vitamin A and C are no longer required to be on panels
- “Calories from Fat” will be removed
- Serving sizes must be based on the amount of food and drinks people typically eat, not what they should be eating
- Food and beverages with one to two serving sizes, the calories and other nutrients will be required to be labelled as one serving size as most people will eat and drink this amount of food in one setting
- For certain products that are larger than a single serving but that could be consumed in one sitting or multiple sittings, manufacturers will have to provide “dual column” labels to indicate the amount of calories and nutrients on both a “per serving” and “per package” basis
Old vs. new US nutrition panels
The old nutrition panel on the left, the new is on the right:
Companies which make more than US $10 million in annual sales must update their nutritional panels by 26 July 2018. Companies whose sales are under this amount have until 26 July 2019.
- Woolworths commencesCountry of Origin label rollout
- Ministers reach agreement for Australia’s newCountry of Origin Labels
- CHOICE says Coles on top incountry of origin labelling
- NZ government objects to Australia’s newcountry of origin food labels
Managing Director, John Durkan, has attributed Coles’ ongoing sales growth to the supermarket group’...
Consumption of packaged fruit juice in Australian has been in freefall since 2012 according to the l...
Woolworths has purchased the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s Selwyn Street property in the Mel...
The rate at which Australians born overseas are purchasing fast moving consumer goods is growing fas...
Unilever has acquired UK tea brand, Pukka Herbs.
A diet high in protein rich foods reduces the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease Australian rese...
A fifth person has died after eating rockmelon contaminated with listeria.
PepsiCo Inc. have announced the appointment of Danny Celoni to the role of Australia and New Zealand...