Top 10 food predictions for 2018: Packaged Facts
United States research firm Packaged Facts have released a list of 10 food trends to watch in 2018.
Packaged Fact’s top 10 food trend predictions for 2018 are as follows:
- Hawaiian food – Packaged Facts says Hawaiian food will become popular in 2018 with spam being added to sushi and loco moco (an open hamburger on rice) taking off.
- Colour – Natural colours will continue be popular in 2018 including beetroot purple and purple cauliflower.
- Pepper – Pepper will be called out as a flavouring in food and will feature in artisanal foods, including desserts.
- French revival – Following on from the popularity of macaroons and brioche buns, traditional French food is predicted to make a comeback, along with an emphasis on tradition and technique when it comes to artisanal foods.
- Figs – Fig are expected to feature in 2018, with the fruit to feature more in casual dinning, not just up-scale restaurants.
- Meatballs – Meatballs will be popular, but not all will need to contain meat, and plenty of innovative meals using meatballs will be created.
- Pistachios – Pistachios will be viewed as “re-glamourised and nutritious” in 2018. There will be product innovation using pistachios.
- Vegetarian ‘meat’ – Meat imitation products that are suitable for vegans and vegetarians will be popular.
- Sweet Potato – Sweet potato will continue to be a popular food in 2017 with more innovation other than the already popular sweet potato fries.
- Vegan and Non–GMO – Foods claiming to be non-GMO or vegan will strike a chord with consumers wanting to “eat clean” in 2018. Even if the consumer is not vegan, vegan foods will be popular, the same way gluten-free foods are with those who are not coeliac.
- Whole Foods predicts top 10 food trendsfor 2018
- Mintel reveals 5 global food& drink trends for 2018
- Mintel predicts 5 top Chinese consumer trend sfor 2018