Whole Grain Week launches new diet database. Try it.
TODAY marks the start of Australia’s inaugural Whole Grain Week, run by the Grains and Legumes Nutrition Council which no doubt hopes this fibre-rich event becomes regular.
The idea is to spread the word about the importance of whole grain foods in our diet and encourage Australians to make simple swaps, for big health benefits.
The council’s nutrition expert Felicity Curtain says whole grain foods like brown rice, pasta, wholemeal bread and whole grain cereals are packed with nutrition and people who eat them regularly are less likely to develop heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even bowel cancer.
See how your favourite whole grain foods stack up
- Check out this new searchable whole grain database
Few Australians eat enough whole grains
- 59% of us choose refined grains
- We eat an average of 21g whole grain per day
- 48g the recommended daily target Intake
Up your grain game with five simple food swaps
- Try wholemeal/whole grain bread in place of white
- Look out for whole grain breakfast cereals, or warm up with porridge oats
- Swap your usual white rice for brown, black, even red rice
- Pasta, couscous, and noodles are all available in wholemeal varieties
- Try a new grain: quinoa, freekeh, buckwheat, amaranth, and teff
A complaint against Spudshed, a chain of supermarkets in WA, has been dismissed.
CC-Amatil (CCA) announced its results for the first half of its 2016 financial year late last week, ...
A new study has found many Australian restaurants and cafes are bearing the financial brunt of more ...
With many Australian dairy farmers still struggling with low farmgate milk pricing some are starting...
After 15 years of operations in Australia, Aldi believes that its present 10 per cent market share w...
IKEA has announced a new international food program that will help the furniture giant achieve a num...
The grower linked to Australia’s recent rockmelon listeria outbreak has been cleared to recommence t...
MANY Australians are concerned with the sustainability of their seafood. While definitions of sustai...