Whole Grain Week launches new diet database. Try it.
TODAY marks the start of Australia’s inaugural Whole Grain Week, run by the Grains and Legumes Nutrition Council which no doubt hopes this fibre-rich event becomes regular.
The idea is to spread the word about the importance of whole grain foods in our diet and encourage Australians to make simple swaps, for big health benefits.
The council’s nutrition expert Felicity Curtain says whole grain foods like brown rice, pasta, wholemeal bread and whole grain cereals are packed with nutrition and people who eat them regularly are less likely to develop heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even bowel cancer.
See how your favourite whole grain foods stack up
- Check out this new searchable whole grain database
Few Australians eat enough whole grains
- 59% of us choose refined grains
- We eat an average of 21g whole grain per day
- 48g the recommended daily target Intake
Up your grain game with five simple food swaps
- Try wholemeal/whole grain bread in place of white
- Look out for whole grain breakfast cereals, or warm up with porridge oats
- Swap your usual white rice for brown, black, even red rice
- Pasta, couscous, and noodles are all available in wholemeal varieties
- Try a new grain: quinoa, freekeh, buckwheat, amaranth, and teff
A new study has revealed what foodie trends are in for the remainder of 2016 and what ones are on th...
Woolworths is continuing to turn itself around, with supermarket food sales helping out.
Queensland-based soft serve ice cream producer, Frosty Boy, says its venture into the Middle East fo...
Beverage bottler, Coca-Cola Amatil, says it will pass on the costs of the NSW Container Deposit Sche...
Sydney food start up, Over The Moo, has won the national 2017 Telstra New Business Award.
Coca-Cola has revealed some of its up-and-coming beverage innovations at an investors day in the Uni...
Chris’ Dips have relaunched its Festivale range after taking into consideration customer feedback.
Now in its 20th year, Agri-Tech Israel 2018 focused on agriculture in arid and semi-arid regions, pr...