Whole Grain Week launches new diet database. Try it.
TODAY marks the start of Australia’s inaugural Whole Grain Week, run by the Grains and Legumes Nutrition Council which no doubt hopes this fibre-rich event becomes regular.
The idea is to spread the word about the importance of whole grain foods in our diet and encourage Australians to make simple swaps, for big health benefits.
The council’s nutrition expert Felicity Curtain says whole grain foods like brown rice, pasta, wholemeal bread and whole grain cereals are packed with nutrition and people who eat them regularly are less likely to develop heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even bowel cancer.
See how your favourite whole grain foods stack up
- Check out this new searchable whole grain database
Few Australians eat enough whole grains
- 59% of us choose refined grains
- We eat an average of 21g whole grain per day
- 48g the recommended daily target Intake
Up your grain game with five simple food swaps
- Try wholemeal/whole grain bread in place of white
- Look out for whole grain breakfast cereals, or warm up with porridge oats
- Swap your usual white rice for brown, black, even red rice
- Pasta, couscous, and noodles are all available in wholemeal varieties
- Try a new grain: quinoa, freekeh, buckwheat, amaranth, and teff
Researchers from Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne have found a second-life for the va...
A small Sydney pizzeria has scooped the national title in the Menulog Restaurant Awards for 2016, af...
The Australian government has amended Australia’s new Country of Origin Labelling laws just months a...
United Petroleum has purchased Pie Face for an undisclosed figure.
Food technology is all about piling your plate with safer, cheaper, fresher, more nutritious and env...
David Jones has confirmed it will be opening a series of new food halls focused on providing premium...
The main grocery buyer makes at least two trips to the shops every week and catalogue’s brand reinfo...
Coca-Cola is “fundamentally reshaping” its approach to packaging globally with plans to collect and ...