Whole Grain Week launches new diet database. Try it.
TODAY marks the start of Australia’s inaugural Whole Grain Week, run by the Grains and Legumes Nutrition Council which no doubt hopes this fibre-rich event becomes regular.
The idea is to spread the word about the importance of whole grain foods in our diet and encourage Australians to make simple swaps, for big health benefits.
The council’s nutrition expert Felicity Curtain says whole grain foods like brown rice, pasta, wholemeal bread and whole grain cereals are packed with nutrition and people who eat them regularly are less likely to develop heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even bowel cancer.
See how your favourite whole grain foods stack up
- Check out this new searchable whole grain database
Few Australians eat enough whole grains
- 59% of us choose refined grains
- We eat an average of 21g whole grain per day
- 48g the recommended daily target Intake
Up your grain game with five simple food swaps
- Try wholemeal/whole grain bread in place of white
- Look out for whole grain breakfast cereals, or warm up with porridge oats
- Swap your usual white rice for brown, black, even red rice
- Pasta, couscous, and noodles are all available in wholemeal varieties
- Try a new grain: quinoa, freekeh, buckwheat, amaranth, and teff
Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA) has secured a 20 year multi-million dollar distribution contract for Monster ...
Bulla has launched its new ice creams for Summer 2016/17.
Sunny Queen Meal Solutions is now offering an egg-based dessert or snack option called Sweet Bites.
Domino’s has partnered with Australian start-up, Nexba, to start selling a new sugar-free, “all natu...
PepsiCo has released “cosmic-coloured” Dorito chips as part of a promotion for the new movie, Marvel...
Images of ‘junk food’ such as chocolate are almost twice as distracting as images of healthy food a ...
Coca-Cola has revealed some of its up-and-coming beverage innovations at an investors day in the Uni...
Café owners and chefs will be saying Bon Appétit to customers with the revolutionary cooked and snap...