New store a guide to the future of Australian supermarkets?
A multi-million dollar ‘supermarket of the future’ featuring new technology to Australia has been unveiled in Adelaide’s North Eastern suburbs.
The Fairview Park Foodland IGA, part of the Adelaide’s Finest Supermarkets group, has been designed to be one of the greenest in the nation, with a range of Australian-first initiatives that aim to reduce its environmental impact.
Drawing on inspiration from supermarkets in Italy, France and the UK, Fairview Park Foodland IGA also has a number of interesting new features beyond environmental attributes including side-by-side checkout pods with electronic pay stations and a leading chef to produce restaurant quality meals and run cooking classes.
Adelaide’s Finest Supermarkets General Manager, Mike Rutherford, believes the store will set a new benchmark in creating an enticing experience for customers.
“We love what we do and are proud to be in a position to set such a high benchmark, especially as an independent South Australian owned supermarket,” he said. “We truly believe this supermarket will redefine Australian supermarkets in the future.”
The key features of Fairview Park Foodland IGA include:
• A full-time 5-star internationally experienced chef preparing restaurant quality meals to order online or in person. Utilising his commercial and demonstration kitchens, the chef will also host cooking classes, celebrity chefs and prepare regular tastings and ready-made meals to accommodate those with busy lifestyles.
• Electronic chalkboards and LED screens featuring imagery appealing to the senses such as meal ideas, together with 18 plasma TVs in the checkout area and throughout the store featuring news, weather and light entertainment.
• A ‘temptation’ zone on entry offering fresh ground coffee for sale, coffee tastings, takeaway coffees to drink while shopping (trolleys will have cup holders), fresh baked cookies, hot nuts and a full service dried fruits, chocolate and nuts offering in bulk. A coffee diary will also be initiated to allow customers to ask for their own special blend each time.
• European inspired fit-out throughout the 3,300 square metre trading floor featuring market style stainless steel exposed A/C ducts, a striking curved aluminium and polycarbonate bulkhead, back lit feature walls, suspended timber slat ceilings in key areas, skylights, ceramic flooring, wider-than-normal aisles, imported custom designed cabinetry and easy reach shelving.
• Environmental initiatives such as use of natural light, low energy sensor and timer lighting. They have used sustainable materials, enclosed refrigeration units for better temperature control and energy efficiency and CO2 gassed refrigeration. Cardboard takeaway cartons rather than plastic, stormwater reuse, and plastic bag free checkouts are also part of a more comprehensive environmentally-friendly strategy.
• 19 confectionery and plastic bag free, side-by-side checkout pods which encourage greater interaction between staff and customers, together with exclusively designed pay stations.
• Two aisles dedicated to organic and gluten free products with refrigerated fruit and vegetables, fresh produce and wholefoods in the one location.
• An extensive range of local, imported and national goods with a focus on fresh produce with departments featuring full service options such as market fresh seafood, a premium butcher, a bakehouse with five bakers at any one time, a Cheese Bar featuring one of Adelaide’s largest cheese selections, a large fresh chicken range and ready made meals section.
• DeliQuickServe system featuring exclusively designed electronic Self-Check-in terminals in the deli department which allow you to put in your order which automatically goes into a queue ready for you to pick it up at your convenience to reduce the time spent waiting, allowing the customer to go about their shopping or stop for a coffee.
• A 22 seat café complete with Wi-Fi and featuring hot eat-in or takeaway meals freshly prepared by the chef, together with a traditional café menu.
• Dedicated iService staff to handle customer enquiries from meal suggestions and nutritional information to stocked items.
Unlike other Australian dairy producers, Freedom Foods has achieved sales growth within its dairy op...
Alcohol producer, Diageo, will be adding nutritional panels to its beverages.
See what the experts say about pea milk trying to push into the growing plant-based milk range, join...
A MOTHER haunted by the fatal allergic reaction of her nine-year-old daughter has started an online ...
Coles has come under pressure over a notice requesting employees to take pizza in lieu of remunerati...
Which supermarket really has the cheapest prices?
In a video released by Mashable a revolutionary online retailer has revealed its usage of robotics.
Franchisors in Australia have been warned to prepare for the introduction of new laws that will make...