A look back at the top food trends of the noughties
Sushi, gourmet burgers and superfruits have been listed among the top food trends of the last decade, according to editorial staff at the American-based Food Channel (foodchannel.com).
Below are their opinions on the decade that was 2000-2009, with a perspective on top trends, top flavours and the leading news stories.
Top Ten Trends
- Gourmet Burgers made with Kobe or Angus Beef
- Superfruits such as Acai, Pomegranate and Blueberry
- Oils, such as olive oils and truffle oils
- Whole grains, such as Kashi, polenta, risotto
- Artisan foods, particularly in breads, cheeses and dark chocolates
- Coffees, teas
- Green tea
- Dark Chocolate
- Organic foods
- International Cuisines
- Food TV and Internet
- Food Safety
- The Economy and subsequent shift to home cooking
- Fast casual restaurant concepts
- Fair trade and Artisan concepts in bread, chocolates, cheeses
- Mobility/Social Media/Twitter notifications/Underground dining
- Culinary education
Prominent News Topics
- Food Safety
- Food Prices
- Slow Food
- Consumer generated advertising (e.g. Dorito’s Super Bowl ad)
- The demise of traditional publishing
- Private branding
- Carl’s, Jr.’s edgy advertising
- McDonald’s innovation
Top Restaurant Trends
- Fast casual concept
- Tapas and shareables
- Molecular Gastronomy
- Taco Trucks
- Underground dining
- Upscaling of Bar food
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Bread Pudding
- Deep Fried Turkey
- Creme Brulee
Top Food People
- Food bloggers
- The local farmer
- Celebrity Chefs such as Rachael Ray, Jamie Oliver, Curtis Stone and Gordon Ramsay
- Julia Child/Julie Powell
- The home cook
- Grant Achatz
- Alice Waters
- Thomas Keller
- Martha Stewart
- The local restaurant chef
Amazon Fresh, an online-only grocery delivery service, entered the US market in 2007. An Amazon exec...
Watch out Domino’s, Pizza Hut is also moving into online technologies – at least in North America fo...
Some people think they are creative geniuses once they have had a drink or two and researchers have ...
Females who have eating disorders are more likely to have been convicted of theft and other crimes a...
Sustainable aquaculture company Seafarms Group Limited is pleased to announce that it has completed...
Coca-Cola remains the world’s most chosen brand according to the 2016 Kantar Worldpanel Global Top 5...
An Israeli start-up has developed an app which takes all the guess work out of deciding whether a pi...
A report entitled “The Political Consumer” released today by J Walter Thompson Intelligence’s Innova...