A look back at the top food trends of the noughties
Sushi, gourmet burgers and superfruits have been listed among the top food trends of the last decade, according to editorial staff at the American-based Food Channel (foodchannel.com).
Below are their opinions on the decade that was 2000-2009, with a perspective on top trends, top flavours and the leading news stories.
Top Ten Trends
- Gourmet Burgers made with Kobe or Angus Beef
- Superfruits such as Acai, Pomegranate and Blueberry
- Oils, such as olive oils and truffle oils
- Whole grains, such as Kashi, polenta, risotto
- Artisan foods, particularly in breads, cheeses and dark chocolates
- Coffees, teas
- Green tea
- Dark Chocolate
- Organic foods
- International Cuisines
- Food TV and Internet
- Food Safety
- The Economy and subsequent shift to home cooking
- Fast casual restaurant concepts
- Fair trade and Artisan concepts in bread, chocolates, cheeses
- Mobility/Social Media/Twitter notifications/Underground dining
- Culinary education
Prominent News Topics
- Food Safety
- Food Prices
- Slow Food
- Consumer generated advertising (e.g. Dorito’s Super Bowl ad)
- The demise of traditional publishing
- Private branding
- Carl’s, Jr.’s edgy advertising
- McDonald’s innovation
Top Restaurant Trends
- Fast casual concept
- Tapas and shareables
- Molecular Gastronomy
- Taco Trucks
- Underground dining
- Upscaling of Bar food
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Bread Pudding
- Deep Fried Turkey
- Creme Brulee
Top Food People
- Food bloggers
- The local farmer
- Celebrity Chefs such as Rachael Ray, Jamie Oliver, Curtis Stone and Gordon Ramsay
- Julia Child/Julie Powell
- The home cook
- Grant Achatz
- Alice Waters
- Thomas Keller
- Martha Stewart
- The local restaurant chef
Researchers at the Imperial College London have criticised the switch from sugar beverages to artifi...
Females who have eating disorders are more likely to have been convicted of theft and other crimes a...
Australian wine exports increased by 15 per cent to $2.56 billion in the 12 months ended December 20...
According to a recent study done by a collaboration between U.S and Chinese scientists from Washing...
An Israeli company is launching a new ‘3D sweetener’ which can be either added to hot beverages or e...
US President-Elect, Donald Trump, has announced America will leave the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TP...
The Donald Trump presidential campaign has been dogged by controversy, but one Tweet by his son stir...
Australian and New Zealand food products are popular purchases for online Chinese shoppers confirms ...