Whole Grain Week launches new diet database. Try it.
TODAY marks the start of Australia’s inaugural Whole Grain Week, run by the Grains and Legumes Nutrition Council which no doubt hopes this fibre-rich event becomes regular.
The idea is to spread the word about the importance of whole grain foods in our diet and encourage Australians to make simple swaps, for big health benefits.
The council’s nutrition expert Felicity Curtain says whole grain foods like brown rice, pasta, wholemeal bread and whole grain cereals are packed with nutrition and people who eat them regularly are less likely to develop heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even bowel cancer.
See how your favourite whole grain foods stack up
- Check out this new searchable whole grain database
Few Australians eat enough whole grains
- 59% of us choose refined grains
- We eat an average of 21g whole grain per day
- 48g the recommended daily target Intake
Up your grain game with five simple food swaps
- Try wholemeal/whole grain bread in place of white
- Look out for whole grain breakfast cereals, or warm up with porridge oats
- Swap your usual white rice for brown, black, even red rice
- Pasta, couscous, and noodles are all available in wholemeal varieties
- Try a new grain: quinoa, freekeh, buckwheat, amaranth, and teff
A year of investing into its business has paid off says poultry franchise, Lenard’s Chicken.
Roza’s Gourmet is now selling a mayonnaise suitable for vegans.
The milkman might be a thing of the past for many Australians but the service has made a comeback in...
REGISTER your trade mark prior to doing business – or risk losing your right to register and use it ...
Wine Australia has reported an increase in the average purchase price of winegrapes in its Vintage R...
Drakes Supermarkets officially open their $125 million, state of the art Distribution Centre in Edi...
The future of the Packaging Council of Australia (PCA) is currently up in the air.
Demand for infant formula in China is “poised for impressive growth” market research group, Mintel, ...