Mars plans to make its foods healthier, new global approach
Mars Food says it will be changing some of its products to make them healthier for consumers.
The global company, which is responsible for Masterfoods, Dolmino and Kan Tong, revealed both sodium and added sugars will be reduced in its foods whilst more fruit, vegetables and whole grains will be added in.
Some items will be promoted as “occasional products” only and its healthy food options will be made more accessible internationally.
General Manager of Mars Food Australia, Hamish Tomson, said Mars is making the changes as it has a responsibility to promote healthy eating.
“We believe we have a significant responsibility to be transparent about our products and to help consumers make informed choices,” said Thomson.
Mars’ new health initiatives have been published as “The Mars Health and Wellbeing Ambition” which covers the five key aspects:
- Reductions in sodium and added sugar: Mars Foods will reduce sodium across its product range by an average of 20 per cent by 2021 and will reduce added sugar in a limited number of sauces and light meals by 2018.
- Labelling which distinguishes between ‘everyday meals’ and ‘occasional products’: Mars will promote on-pack and on its website which of its foods are ok to eat everyday as part of a healthy diet and which are only ok to eat sometimes.
- More fruits, vegetables and whole grains in products: Multigrain options will be expanded so that 50 per cent of all rice products include whole grains and/or legumes. All tomato-based jar products will include a minimum of one serving of vegetables.
- Making products more accessible: New products will be introduced to developed and emerging markets.
- Encouraging cooking and healthy eating at home: Brands such as Masterfoods and Dolmino will be used to promote healthy cooking and eating in homes.
Mars says these new health-orientated decisions follow on from previous initiatives which included displaying health star ratings and reducing trans fats.
The American division of SodaStream has angered water bottlers with a campaign showing bottled water...
Research conducted at Cambridge University has found superbug stains of E.coli in 22 of 92 chicken p...
An Israeli company is launching a new ‘3D sweetener’ which can be either added to hot beverages or e...
McDonald’s US has attracted criticism for its new staff uniforms.
SPC is set to soon begin exporting its products to China for the first time after striking a local b...
A Coca-Cola executive has revealed the beverage giant is soon set to start dabbling in alcohol, some...
Chobani Yoghurt has opened a Chobani Café inside a Target store in New York.
A new sugar content certification program called ‘Sugarwise’ is gaining traction in the United State...