What can we learn from Menulog’s online meal ordering figures?
Menulog has released its inaugural report ‘A Growing App-etite’, documenting the growth trends and future of the Australian online food delivery market.
The report states that the total food delivery and pick-up market in Australia is growing at eight times that of the total food service industry. This represents an AUD $3.5 billion opportunity for Australian businesses.
According to the data shown more than six million Australians made online food orders in 2017.
68 million online food orders were made in the 2017 calendar year.
Australia’s favourite foods for online orders were as follows.
- Italian and or pizza topped the list with 29 per cent of Australians choosing it more than any other food. Trailing by a whole 10 per cent in second position was Indian, followed by Thai, Chinese, burgers and chicken.
- Vegetarian pizza was the most ordered topping online for pizza, with margherita topping the list, followed by Hawaiian and pepperoni.
- 4,000,000 pizzas were sold online in Australia in 2017.
- 200,000 people added pineapple to their pizzas.
Menulog is the most popular meal delivery app service in Australia, as previously reported about on Australian Food News. Menulog is used by 35 per cent of people who use meal delivery apps, which is 7 per cent more than its biggest competitor Uber EATS.
This amounts as two orders per second but on a Saturday night it jumps to 300 orders per minute. With the reasons for ordering varying between romantic nights in, the big game, movie nights and spending time with families.
Some 23% of Victorian’s and 19% of Tasmanians ordered food to eat in bed, the report says.
At the start of each week appetites seem to slow down, with Monday and Tuesdays being the slowest ordering days. Despite Tuesday being the best day to get a cheaper meal offering from the online platform.
- Menulogfounders take on $8 billion café sector
- Small Sydney business tops 2016 Menulogrestaurant awards
- Menulogset to sell to overseas buyers
AUSTRALIAN consumers will from today have much greater certainty about the origins of the food they ...
Patties Foods, the owner of Four’N Twenty Pies, has increased its profits after selling its Creative...
A new ABARES Agricultural Commodities report has forecasted a return towards trend for farm producti...
Fine Food Australia 2019 will be held at the ICC Sydney, Darling Harbour. It is the largest foodser...
Australian shoppers will be buying up big when it comes to food this Easter says Woolworths.
The 2017 Product of the Year winners have been announced.
TODAY a Sydney restaurant on a ground-breaking mission of inclusion will host its first Sensory Hour...
Australians are only eating half of the cereal fibre they need, research has found.