CHOICE finds “you get what you pay for” with Christmas puddings
Consumer watchdog CHOICE has put 14 popular Christmas puddings to the test, finding that the cheaper puddings performed the worst in taste and quality.
The team of experts included Fine Food Show judges and professional cooks that analysed puddings between $0.71 – $5.50/100 grams. In the blind taste test, the experts looked for good shape, weight, balanced fruit, spice and alcohol flavours, even distribution of good-quality fruit ingredients and puddings that held their shape when cut.
CHOICE awarded Itha’s Traditional Plum Pudding, Pud for All Seasons Traditional Plum Pudding, Pudding Lady Traditional Christmas Pudding, and Crooked Creek Authentic English Christmas Pudding as the best Christmas puddings on the market, but noted that they were in the “higher-end” budget.
Woolworths Gold Vintage Christmas Pudding and Coles Finest Luxury Christmas Pudding performed “we’re quite as good as the more expensive options, but are gentler on the hip pocket,” CHOICE said.
The puddings tested by CHOICE are as follows:
- Big Sister Christmas Traditional Plum Pudding – $1.12/100g
- Coles Finest Luxury Christmas Pudding – $1.56/100g
- Coles Matured Christmas Pudding – $1.29/100g
- Crooked Creek Authentic English Christmas Pudding – $5.50/100g
- Fowlers Luxury Plum Pudding – $1.63/100g
- Itha’s Traditional Plum Pudding – $4.20/100g
- Lions Traditional Lions Christmas Pudding – $1.22/100g
- Pud for All Seasons Traditional Plum Pudding – $3.62/100g
- Pudding Lady Traditional Christmas Pudding – $4.30/100g
- Pudding Lane Christmas Pudding – $4.20/100g
- The Cake Stall (Aldi) Luxury Christmas Pudding – $1.00/100g
- The Cake Stall (Aldi) Plum Pudding – $0.71/100g
- Woolworths Gold Vintage Christmas Pudding – $1.98/100g
- Woolworths Select Matured Christmas Pudding with Cognac – $1.13/100g
More and more people want to reduce their intake of, or even entirely avoid, food of animal origin f...
Meat and Livestock Australia’s 2018’s Australia Day lamb television advertisement has received far l...
PEOPLE are increasingly snacking to manage their mood but the lolly jar is out as middle-class consu...
Independent monitoring conducted by the National Heart Foundation has found the Health Star Rating S...
“Online is the fastest growing channel in Australian retail and with our combined credentials, we’ll...
The Managing Director of an innovative fresh produce company has won a 2017 Telstra Business Women’s...
Two of Australia’s best-know suppliers of fresh fruit and vegetables, LaManna Group and Premier Frui...
Moon Lake Investments, the Chinese owner of Australia’s biggest and oldest dairy farm, Van Diemen’s ...