Australia’s online grocery sector analysis, Nielsen
Online grocery shopping is growing seven times faster than the rest of the Australian grocery market says the latest research from Nielsen.
According to Nielsen, online consumer spending is predicted to inject up to AUD $2 billion of incremental sales into the Australian grocery industry over the next five years.
The research reflects what Nielsen calls a ‘20-20-20’ growth opportunity with:
- 20 per cent of Australians already buying at least some type of grocery product online.
- 20 per cent being the current rate of annual sales growth
- 20 per cent being the expected share of the AUD $10.6 billion growth ‘prize’ for the grocery industry over the next five years
One in four Australians say they order grocery products online and 55 per cent say they are willing to do so in the future.
Kosta Conomos, Executive Director, Retail Industry Group at Nielsen Australia, said up until now it has been hard to find examples of retailers in Australia’s FMCG industry who have mastered their offer in the online grocery space.
“Australian shoppers are growing accustomed to the benefits of digital in other retail settings and are beginning to expect them in grocery as well,” Conomos said.
“Retailers are now facing unprecedented pressure to maintain profit margins by keeping up with these increasingly demanding, empowered and connected consumers. Those that are winning in this space are leveraging technology to enhance the overall shopping experience and meet consumers’ evolving desire,” she said.
- Online grocery shopping just an “appealing idea” for most Australians, Roy Morgan Research
- Online groceriesin Australia set to grow, IBISWorld
- Coles develops world-leadingonline grocery delivery technology
- Online groceryshopping accelerated by young male Australians
Both the New South Wales and South Australian Departments of Primary Industries (DPI) are urging pri...
Free trade agreements (FTAs) secured by Australia with China, Japan and South Korea in 2014 and 2015...
The US Food and Drug Administration is proposing to push back the compliance deadline for America’s ...
There has been much hype surrounding the now confirmed entry of AmazonFresh into Australia. But will...
Coca-Cola South Pacific will be selling Coca-Cola Raspberry for the Australian 2017/18 summer.
Food containing low-THC hemp can now be sold in Australia.
KNOW what foods are also good for our mental health and can decrease our risk of depression and anxi...
STOCKS on the ASX of a New Zealand-based cow and goat milk powder maker have almost doubled in price...