ACCC to host farmer forums for Dairy Inquiry
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is hosting a series of forums for dairy farmers as part of its Dairy Inquiry.
The forums seek to uncover farmer concerns over competition and fair trading in the wake of 2016’s dairy crisis which saw many Australian dairy farmers struggling after a group of dairy processors dropped their farmgate milk prices.
The Dairy Inquiry is examining the competition between milk processors, contracts between processors and farmers, global supply markets, and the profitability of dairy farms.
ACCC Commissioner, Mick Keogh, said the ACCC is interested in hearing from farmers on a wide range of topics.
“We are interested in hearing from farmers on a range of topics, including options for selling milk in different regions, the transparency of how farm gate milk prices are calculated, and contracting practices in the industry,” Keogh said.
“We are attending major dairy production regions in each state. I look forward to meeting farmers and hearing their views. If there are farmers who cannot attend but want to have their say, I’d encourage them to call or email us,” he said.
A summary of the issues discussed at the forums will be published on the ACCC website but individual’s names will not be used.
The forums will be held at:
- Monday 6 February 2017 – Toowoomba, Qld
- Tuesday 7 February 2017, 12pm–2pm – Club West, Taree, NSW
- Tuesday 14 February 2017– Traralgon, Vic
- Monday 27 February 2017 – Warrnambool, Vic
- Tuesday 28 February 2017 – Shepparton, Vic
- Thursday 16 March 2017 – Bunbury, WA
- Monday 20 March 2017 – Hahndorf, SA
- Wednesday 22 March 2017 – Burnie, Tas
- Vegemite is just the beginning for Bega
- Murray Goulburn takes home $40 million net profit despite farmercrisis
- Australiandairy industry agrees on voluntary code of conduct
- Dairy farmers angry at milk price cuts
Dairy products are flooding into Australia from overseas despite local farmers struggling to stay af...
The A2 Milk Company this week announced it has already brought in AUD $148 million of revenue for t...
Australian Food News wishes to inform its readers that it will be on a publishing break between Thur...
Due to the Easter long weekend, Australian Food News will not be published on Monday 17 April 2017. ...
Domino’s has announced its biggest menu relaunch since 2009 with new pizzas, desserts, sides and ing...
Australia’s leading grower, packer and marketer of fresh fruit and vegetables today announced its f...
The CSIRO has discovered how to stimulate higher-levels of oil production in stems and leaves, parts...
Bellamy’s Organic has more than tripled its 2016 financial results thanks to strong domestic and int...