Australian dietitians label the ‘lemons’ in list of worst diets
Hundreds of Australian dietitians have voted on the “three worst diets to avoid in 2013”, with The Lemon Detox Diet taking the number one spot for the second consecutive year.
Closely followed by the Acid and Alkaline Diet and The Six Weeks to OMG Diet, the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA) said these popular Australian diets were the top 3 “worst” ways to lose weight.
More than 230 members of Australia’s peak nutrition body, the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA), took part in an online survey in which they voted from a list of nine popular diets in Australia.
DAA spokesperson and Accredited Practising Dietitian, Melanie McGrice, said that she hopes the findings “will stop Australians, particularly young women, from trying the endless array of fad diets promoted every January.”
“Don’t put your health in the hands of celebrities-endorsed diets or products that make miraculous weight and fat-loss claims. Like many things in life, good health takes perseverance and commitment to a healthy lifestyle,” said Ms McGrice.
The DAA “worst diet” list comes shortly after the Newspoll survey of 200 women aged 18-24 which found that 42 per cent are hoping to lose weight in the New Year.
Following the published list of diets to avoid, the nutrition experts from the DAA have provided some recommendations on how to improve Australian diets in 2013:
1. Watch out for gimmicks or quick fixes. Being healthy takes time. If you’re lost, see an Accredited Practising Dietitian for advice you can trust.
2. Everyone wants that miracle diet that solves all problems. The truth isn’t sexy, but it works: A wholesome, nutritious, balanced diet.
3. Carbohydrates are essential for effective brain function. Low carbohydrate diets won’t help you perform at your best.
4. Get half vegetables, one quarter carbohydrates and one quarter protein on your plate at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
5. No need to ban certain foods – you’ll only crave them more. Plan small amounts of ‘treat’ foods into your week and take time to taste and enjoy them. Enjoy quality over quantity.
Salmon farming company, Huon Aquaculture, has lodged proceedings in the Australian Federal Court aga...
2019 Australian Masterchef winner Larissa Takchi has collaborated with the world’s best mustard, Ma...
A new Australian-owned brand of flavoured butter blends is now available in Woolworths supermarkets.
RED meat is an excellent source of protein and essential nutrients such as iron, zinc, vitamin B12 a...
The polls are open! Australians will make their preferences known as the country decides on the new...
Coles, Food innovation Australia (FIAL) and the Victorian Government are running a free industry bri...
SPC is marking 100 years in business in 2018 with a new television advertisement.
McCain Australia will be moving into a new “state-of-the-art” robotic cold storage facility in the M...