Woolworths unveils its next generation supermarkets
Woolworths has unveiled its next generation of supermarkets with the opening of a new Woolworths Metro in Marrickville, Sydney.
The new store is the largest individual investment by Woolworths in a store renewal since it began its 2015 store renewal program.
Woolworths Metro Marrickville offers customers a range of new Woolworths’ products and experiences including picking ‘living lettuce’ from a hydroponic setup, a cheese cave, an entire isle dedicated to organic food and flame-roasted chicken.
Other store features include a ready-to-go food section and pick-up lockers for customers who want to shop online.
Woolworths Supermarkets Managing Director, Claire Peters, said the Marrickville store marks the next evolution of Woolworths’ journey to create a neighbourhood food store that provides a “great shopping experience”.
“Our teams have spent a great deal of time understanding how our customers like to shop, looked across the globe for inspiration and designed the store with the local customer at the forefront to create this next generation grocery shopping experience,” Peters said.
“Every possible angle and aisle in this process has been revisited and the result is a rustic yet future-proof design with a real community spirit.”
Environmental issues have been taken into consideration in designing the new store format with LED lights used and carbon-efficient refrigeration and air-conditioning a feature.
Breakdown of Woolworths’ next generation stores
A complete breakdown of Woolworths new store concept includes:
- Produce – Living Lettuce corner with hydroponic growing setup
- Deli – Designed for entertainers, customers can pick up cured meats sliced to order, olives from an expanded olive bar or select from over 200 cheeses in the cheese cave
- Flame-Roasted Chicken – For the first time, Woolworths is doing flame-roasted chicken
- Bakery – Customers will be able to order custom-made party cakes
- Butcher – In-store butchers will be able to cut or mince meat to order
- Macro Wholefoods Market – Over 200 certified organic lines, loose nuts, seeds and grains and an expanded gluten-free range
- Sushi – Sushi can be made to order and catering platters can be ordered
- Pick Up – For those who choose to shop online and pick up their orders in-store, there are Pick Up lockers located at the front of the store
- Ready to Go – ‘Ready to Create’ bags which are available in the Ready to Go section is a new meal kit concept offering convenience for customers who want to cook recipes from scratch without having to shop for all the individual ingredients separately.
- Woolworths unveils ‘store renewal model’ at Sydney’s Warringah Mall
- New Woolworths’food service concept’ could be on the horizon
- Woolworths HQ testing street foods and hot meals
At a time when beef prices are at record-high levels and dairy producers remain under pressure, a wa...
Pump Water will continue its partnership with the AFL signing on as the official water of the league...
Woolworths, Coles and Harris Farm Markets have all made a commitment to stop offering customers sing...
As part of the Future Orchards® program, Apple and Pear Australia Limited (APAL), which is the pea...
As part of its Reviving Origins program – an initiative to restore coffee farming in regions where ...
According to Dr Amanda Patterson, older adults with higher intakes of omega-6 fatty acids, but not o...
Kellogg’s says it has surpassed its goals for reducing sugar and sodium its cereals worldwide.
Woolworths says its online Australian food sales “continue to grow strongly” and increased by 30 per...