Annual Healthy Food Guide winners announced
THE winners have been announced in an annual healthy food awards event, aiming to cut through the labelling and marketing tricks that can obscure for time-poor shoppers the best products to buy for nutrition, value and taste.
Seventy-five per cent of the sugar and salt we eat comes from packaged foods and drinks, says the awards host, the Healthy Food Guide magazine.
A team of expert dietitians scoured the supermarket shelves for the best products across ten categories.
The winners are:
- Best yoghurt: Rokeby Farms Whole Protein Swedish Style Quark Yoghurt (Natural)
- Best packaged sweet snack: Emma & Tom’s Milk No Added Sugar (Espresso)
- Best sandwich base: Burgen (Wholemeal & Seeds)
- Best pantry staple: Cobram Estate Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Classic Flavour)
- Best kids’ packaged lunch box snack: Perfection Fresh Qukes Baby Cucumbers.
- Best breakfast cereal: Freedom Foods Barley+Traditional Porridge
- Best ready-made meal: Woolworths Delicious Nutritious (Beef & Tomato Casserole).
- Best packaged savoury snack: The Happy Snack Company Roasted Chic Peas (Lightly Salted)
- Best vegetarian food: Coles Southern Smoked Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burgers
- Best allergy-friendly snack: Carman’s Super Seed & Grain Crackers (Ancient Grain & Cracked Pepper
2018 SUPERMARKET INNOVATION AWARD: This award recognises the supermarket that has worked hard this year to make it easier for shoppers to make healthy decisions in store – Woolworths.
Also in Australian Food News
- Voluntary compliance fail: Preganancy warning labels soon to be mandatory
- Mad-cow ban lifted, Japanese wagyu targets lucrative Australian market
- Why portioning puts fermented food on new healthy snacking frontier
Carlton and United Breweries has launched a new Yak ale variety.
Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) is celebrating its 25th anniversary of the formatio...
Try as they might, Australia’s fast food outlets have not been retaining their visitation rates.
Independent grocery wholesaler Metcash is feeling the effects of Aldi’s expansion into South Austral...
AN industry vital to Australia is calling for a code of practice to protect it from attack.
Ready-made THR1VE meals are now available at Woolworths Metro stores.
Mars Chocolate Australia is releasing the world’s first M&M’s chocolate block range.
Leading food law consultancy firm FoodLegal has announced a new workshop “Sign-off and Take-off for ...